Following the introduction of the new GP contract in 2018 Pharmacists are now increasingly involved in the care of patients in General Practice.
Here in Springwell Medical Practice we now have a team of Clinical Pharmacists & Pharmacy Technician who are based in the practice on the following days:
Tuesday: Bala Subbiah
Wednesday: Sandra Molloy
Thursday: Sandra Molloy & John Hogan (Pharmacy Technician)
Friday: Bala Subbiah
When you contact the practice about a medication matter you may be offered an appointment with one of our Pharmacists. You can also request to speak with the Pharmacist. Our Pharmacists can provide telephone appointments.
The clinical pharmacists work closely with our GP’s providing the following:
• Expertise on day-to-day medicine
• Advice for patients taking multiple medications
• Advice on triaging patients to the correct healthcare professional
• Medication reviews and other medicines-related support, including discussing side effects
• Help for patients with their medicines following a stay in hospital, particularly if there has been a change
• Medication and prescription related queries
• Prescription authorization
• Support managing patients’ long-term conditions
• Cost-efficiency work for the NHS
Having a Pharmacist working in our surgery provides valuable support, a close link with our Community Pharmacists & Secondary care and allows our GPs to focus on patients with more complex medical conditions.
Medicine and Polypharmacy Reviews
Often the Pharmacists or the Doctor will review your medicine and talk about the medicines you are currently taking. In the Practice we like to review your medicine at least once a year, However, sometimes your medicine may be reviewed more frequently.
You might also have heard people referring to Polypharmacy – this means lots of medicines. A medicine review is particularly useful for people who take a lot of medicines, for these people their medicines review may be called a Polypharmacy Review.
Information about what a medicine and polypharmacy review is can be found here.