Who do I see

Who is the best Healthcare Professional to see for the following conditions:

Dental Problems

Who do I see?

Please book an appointment with your dentist or find a dentist near you: NHS Find Dentist Services. NHS 111 can advise on an emergency dentist if needed.

Please note: Doctors do not see dental problems and do not prescribe antibiotics or pain relief for a dental related issue.

Mental Health

Who do I see?
GP/Mental Health Support Services/Samaritans

These are helplines with specially trained volunteers who’ll listen to you, understand what you’re going through, and help you through the immediate crisis.

Samaritans operates a free service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for people who want to talk in confidence. Call them on 116 123 or visit the Samaritans website.

Find out how to deal with a mental health crisis or emergency

Self Help Options:

Please take a look at the following resources that may be of use:

Get Self Help


The Decider Skills

To see your GP

You can book an appointment with your Doctor.

Pharmacy – NHS Pharmacy First Scotland

NHS Pharmacy First Scotland replaced the Minor Ailments Scheme in July 2021. Pharmacy First is for people who are registered with a GP in Scotland or those who live in Scotland.

What is NHS Pharmacy First Scotland?

  • NHS Pharmacy First Scotland is an NHS service provided by your local community pharmacy.
  • If you have a minor illness, a pharmacy is the first place you should go for advice.
  • You do not usually need an appointment and you can go to any pharmacy.
  • Your pharmacist can give you advice for a minor illness, and medicine if they think you need it.

Find you nearest pharmacy.

How does the service work?

  • You can choose which pharmacy to use, normally without making an appointment.
  • The pharmacist (or one of their team) will ask you for some information, including your name, date of birth, and postcode.
  • If you want a specific medicine or product you may need to buy it. The pharmacist will give you advice on this.
  • If the pharmacist thinks it is better for you to see your GP, they may refer you directly or tell you to make an appointment.
  • You can ask to use the pharmacy’s consultation room if you want to speak to the pharmacist in private.


NHS Inform has lots of information about common conditions and exercises. If you need to see or speak to someone about a musculoskeletal problem our practice based Advanced Physiotherapy Practitioner may be the best person. Please call the practice on 0131 347 1860 to discuss this with our Patient Care Advisors.

Alternatively, you can self refer to physiotherapy for routine problems without contacting a GP. Please complete the self-referral form below and send to the address on the form and you will be contacted and offered an appointment in due course.

Self Referral Form

Sick Note (Fit Note)

Who do I see?
Self certify first 7 days, then routine GP appointment

Employees unable to work because of coronavirus can now access a digital isolation note from 111.nhs.uk without having to go to the doctor.

You can book an appointment with your Doctor.

If you have been discharged from hospital, your hospital team will issue any fit notes for the entire period of your recovery. Please contact the ward staff (even after discharge). Schools should not request a GP letter to confirm absence, this can be written by a parent or guardian.

A Fit note can be backdated if required, please discuss this when you see the GP. Please do not request an emergency or urgent appointment for fit note.

Self – Certificate.
You can obtain this form from your employer or by visiting the HMRC website.

Private Certificates
If you or your employer require further information concerning your period(s) of illness , then your Doctor may require to issue you with a letter. Please note that a charge may apply for this service. Please check with our reception desk.

Eye Problems

For any eye related problem, please contact your local Optician. Opticians have the most up to date professional training and necessary equipment to assess most eye problems.

Use the Self Help Guide to learn more about eye problems , when you can use self care and what to do if your condition worsens and you need medical help.

Minor Injuries

Call MIA

Call MIA is an online video consultation service for patients who are aged 8 years and over who have an injury less than 5 days old. This service is carried out by a qualified Nurse Practitioner who can provide advice on injuries including:

· strains, sprains and suspected broken bones of arms and legs

· wounds and minor burns

· minor bumps to head and face

· simple eye injuries

· insect bites and stings

A lot of minor injuries can be treated from the comfort of your own home or with the help of a local pharmacist. If you do need to be examined in person, Call MIA will arrange a suitable appointment at a minor injuries service so you don’t need to wait when you attend.

To arrange an appointment call 111 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

For more information about Call MIA visit services.nhslothian.scot/CallMIA

Pharmacy – Unscheduled Care

The purpose of Unscheduled care is to allow patients to receive their medicines from a pharmacist when they have lost/run out of them/have ordered them from the practice, but the script has not yet been issued by the GP. There must be a clinical need for the supply, and it must be clinically appropriate to make the supply.
A patient who requires their prescribed medicines and cannot obtain a prescription for further supplies within a reasonable period can obtain an emergency supply from a Pharmacist. An emergency supply can be issued provided certain conditions for supply are met in accordance with the Human Medicines Regulations 2012. The supply is made at the discretion of the Pharmacist.

Find my nearest pharmacy

Self Care

Many ailments are best treated at home and do not require immediate medical attention.

Some examples are:

  • Upset stomach
  • Common cold
  • Sore throat
  • Headache
  • Colds & Flu

There is a vast amount of helpful Self Care information available that may reduce the need for medical attention.

If you are unsure about your symptoms then please use the Symptom Checker for further guidance.